We support and encourage local groups involved with Community Gardening in our community. Community Gardening is a valuable activity, contributing to the sustainability and well-being of the wider community and providing an extensive range of environmental, social, recreational, health and educational benefits.
- What is a Community Garden?
- Benefits of Community Gardens
- Community Gardens Application Form
- Community Gardens Located in the City of Holdfast Bay
- Further Information
- Active Communities Mailing List
A Community Garden is an open space, managed by the community with the primary focus of producing food and contributing to the growth of a sustainable city environment. It is a place for learning and sharing about sustainable living practices whilst actively building community through shared activities and contributing to improved health and wellbeing.
Community gardens offer a range of benefits to local residents including:
- access to fresh, nutritious food
- sense of achievement from growing your own food
- making friends and being part of a group
- learning gardening skills alongside others
- learning about shared decision making
- getting outdoor exercise
- building a sense of community
- increasing connection to the environment
- increasing food security
Please use this form if you are applying to use council land for a community garden. This is not a funding application form.
An important first step is to read the Community Garden Guidelines and the two-page leaflet, Information for Applicants. Please arrange a meeting to discuss your proposal with a Council Officer before submitting your completed Application Form to:
Active Communities Team
City of Holdfast Bay
PO Box 19
Brighton SA 5048
Glenelg North Community Garden
Brighton Community Garden
If you are interested in finding out more about the community garden, please contact:
For further information on community gardens, please contact:
Youth and Recreation Officer
Phone: (08) 8229 9999
Click here to join our Active Communities Mailing List to be notified when there are exciting activities and events coming up in your interest areas.