Skip to main content
Open Mobile MenuCall Us


Section 25 of the Environment Protection Act 1993 requires all South Australians to prevent or minimise environmental harm that may be caused by excessive noise, noise issues are further regulated by the Environment Protection (Noise) Policy 2007 .

The Environment Protection Authority, Local Government (Councils) and the Police have key roles in managing noise problems under this Policy.  The Noise Policy affects everyone including businesses licensed under the Environment Protection Act 1993, non-licensed and domestic premises.

Help with noise not regulated by EPA
People Noise

This includes noise from parties, loud radios or stereos and revving cars. Contact your local police station.
Please call (08) 8463 7204.

Animal Noise

For noise from pets such as dogs, parrots and roosters, please call (08) 8229 9999

Liquor Licensed premises

For noise from pubs, nightclubs and other premises licensed under the Liquor Licensing Act 1997,
please call the Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner on (08) 8226 8410

Noise in the workplace

For detail on legislative requirements, contact Safework SA.  For more information on noise control in the workplace,
please call WorkCover on 13 18 55

Resolving neighbourhood noise complaints

There’s a range of common noise sources that my cause an environmental nuisance including:

  • Power tools such as saws and drills etc.
  • Compressors, pumps, swimming pool pumps and filters etc.
  • Lawnmowers
  • Domestic air conditioners
  • Other domestic machines or tools

Issues like these are best resolved by working together with your neighbour. Disputes that are settled without involving an enforcement agency usually result in friendlier ongoing relationships and often provide more effective solutions.  Free mediation services are available that can help resolve neighbourhood noise issues.  This approach also has the benefit of avoiding the costly and adversarial legal process. For further information, contact the Community Mediation Services on (08) 8384 5222.

Localised environmental nuisance issues arising from domestic premises and non-licensed sites do not fall into this category. As a result the extent of the Environment Protection Authority role will be to provide technical support to the local council or police (depending on the issue) if and when requested to do so.

Construction noise

Some activities on building sites can generate significant amounts of noise. Construction activities are limited to between 7am and 7pm from Monday to Saturday and not at all on Sundays and Public holidays.

Back to top