Skip to main content
Open Mobile MenuCall Us

Hard Rubbish


We offer one free hard rubbish collection per financial year to to residents of the City of Holdfast Bay for items that are too large to dispose of via the domestic three bin system. This now includes the collection and recycling of mattresses and e-waste. 

Additional collections can be booked for $51 ($26 for pensioners) at the Brighton Civic Centre (24 Jetty Road Brighton).

Find out more about this service.

  • What items will be collected?
  • How much can I put out?
  • How do I book a collection?
  • What won't Council collect?
  • What do I do with tricky items that can't be collected?
  • What if I cannot get the waste to the kerb?
  • Where can I get further information?
Illegal Dumping

Placing hard waste on footpaths and kerbs during times when it is not scheduled is illegal. People caught doing this may be subjected to an on-the-spot fine of $315, or a maximum penalty of $5,000 if legal action is pursued.

What items can go in hard rubbish?

  • Furniture
  • Electronic Waste (TVs, computers, printers, phones, DVD & VCR players, stereos, iPods etc.).
  • Mattresses
  • Refrigerators and freezers (for safety reasons please remove doors)
  • White goods
  • Floor coverings (up to 1.5metre lengths)
  • Sheets of iron and guttering (up to 1.5metre lengths)
  • Timber off-cuts (up to 1.5metre lengths)
  • Dismantled clothes lines
  • Blinds and window covers
  • Bikes and toys
  • Air-conditioners
  • Unbroken glass and shower screens
  • Small items of scrap metal
  • Hot water services
  • Lawn mowers
  • Rainwater tanks (segments no larger than 1.5metre lengths)
How much can I put out?

Residents are entitled to place out up to 2 cubic metres (2m X 1m X 1m)It is your responsibility to ensure that the hard waste outside your property is placed and maintained safely until collected - even if it is moved by other people.

  • Put your waste out the night before it is due for collection - no sooner
  • Leave plenty of room on the footpath for people to walk past
  • Don't leave anything sharp or hazardous on the footpath
  • Remove all doors from fridges and freezers
  • Don't stack your waste too high
  • Lie taller items down (e.g. wardrobes)
How do I book a collection?

Simply call our Waste hotline on (08) 8295 5077 to book in your collection, or use the form below.

Book a Hard Waste collection online

Please note that as this is a popular council service, a wait of up to 6 weeks can sometimes apply. To avoid disappointment we recommend booking a collection as soon as it is known that one is required

Payments for a second collection can be made by calling 8229 9999 or in person at the Brighton Civic Centre or Glenelg Library. Pensioners must show proof of ID

What can't go in hard rubbish?
  • Bricks, pavers, concrete and building materials
  • Green organics waste (e.g. pruning's, grass clippings, leaves and weeds)
  • Wooden pallets
  • Motor vehicle tyres
  • Items too heavy for two people to lift (e.g. water softeners)
  • Batteries
  • Paints
  • Ammunition, explosives or flares
  • Asbestos
  • Fire extinguishers
  • Motor oil
  • Gas bottles
  • Any liquids
  • Chemicals
  • Car parts (e.g. gear boxes, engine blocks and panels)
What do I do with tricky items that can't go in hard rubbish?

Our Tricky Waste brochure details what to do with some of the above unaccepted items. 

Tricky Waste 2018(355 kb)

What if I cannot get the hard rubbish to the kerb?

If you are a frail older person or have a physical disability, our Home Support funded service may be available to assist you to get your waste to the kerb. Please contact the Home Maintenance team on (08) 8229 9999 for more information.

Where can I get further information on hard rubbish collection?

For further information on our at-call hard waste collection, please contact either our contractor, Solo Resource Recovery on (08) 8295 5077 or Council on (08) 8229 9999.


Back to top